Sunday, January 16, 2011

Listening to my body

I have been suffering from a strained left shoulder all week after my hip hop class. While it has been inconvenient at times and downright painful at others, I did learnt something from this experience. Well... part from that wearing clothes has now become the new modern torture!

Firstly, it is to listen to my body. When I first feel the strain, I ignored it and went along my daily affairs. That is to say, I did stuff that strained it further. From exercising even though it was painfully jolting my shoulder to propping on my shoulders while reading on the bed, boy, my poor body had to take all kinds of abuse from me.

Secondly it is to let others help me when I really needed it and trusting them to do it well. Wearing clothes, asking for a massage... I used to be silent and try to do it myself. However now asking for helping is essential to help me plod along in my daily life.

My naturopath got all annoyed when I bugged him repeatedly about the kind of exercising I can do. Running? No. Gym? No. How about cycling? No, no no! I don't understand why do people want to exercise when they are injured?!

I even thought I'll just go walking but after walking around in the supermarket, I began to understand why he said NO EXERCISING. The strain of carrying my left arm was too much for my poor shoulder and I spent half the time cradling my left arm to my chest. Sigh.

One good thing came out of this. Today I fried some fish for my dinner today. However after tasting it and being revolted by the soft mushy taste, I decided to throw it away and cook some beef instead. My body was so happy when it tasted the beef! I felt so energised that in the end, I have to eat everything up even though I originally wanted to leave some for tomorrow's breakfast. That's almost 300 grams of beef down my pie hole with lots of greens and some rice. Yum!!

So you see, I am now learning my lesson and pay attention to how my body feel. Also I am happy to report that I now weigh 92 kg!! I have lost 6.5 kg so far! Yay!!! To add on to that, I felt that I needed to sleep more last night so I slept for 12 hours last night. While it hasn't been a smooth night sleep with a lot of tossing and turning, I'm happy to report that my shoulder clicked back into place and half the pain is gone! I can even do arms akimbo now, hahah.

This point is written in honour of my body. Did you do anything today (or not do!) to honour your body too?


No comments:

Post a Comment